Jan 25, 2010

9



I had mixed feelings about this movie when I watched it sober. The trailer had made it look awesome and I was definitely psyched to see it, but it didn't end up living up to its expectations. When I went over to my friend's house for a party, we ended up smoking three bowls of some adequate mids and popped this puppy in. I figured it'd be fun to watch slightly baked.

I was right and for all the reasons you would think.

For those of you who don't know, 9 follows a scientist's last creations (9 humanoid rag dolls) living in a world destroyed by machines. They must survive the daily perils of this wasteland as well as learn to trust each other.

Not that you'll really care about the plot because this movie is FUCKING BEAUTIFUL. Seriously, the opening cinematic is enough to amaze you. The colors and structural design of this movie are excellently crafted, and my stoned mind couldn't get enough of them. The red eyes of the machines, the green souls of the rag dolls, all of it is a feast for the eyes.

Now, this isn't to say I wasn't emotionally involved with the film. Every time one of the characters died I felt sad, but in an exaggerated way. It's like I was watching a toy break down. My attention span wasn't strong enough to really care about the characters in depth.

The music and sound design were also a treat. I was able to mellow out despite the action of the movie, and that allowed me to pay more attention to the awesome visuals.

All in all, I would say this is an excellent film to put in while you're high. It's short and beautiful, and if all you're looking for is some quick stoned entertainment, you can't really go wrong with just that.


HIGHPOINTS

(When 9 first awakes) My friend abruptly says, apropos of nothing, "That's a vagina dentata right there."
(When we're first introduced to the rest of the dolls) We all admitted we hated One
(When we see Six's drawings) "Hey, there's [our friend's] drawings!" Then we had to pause the movie to look at bad drawings.
(When 9 awakens the machine) "AHHHH SHIT, THAT CAN'T BE GOOD!"
(When We see 8 playing with the magnet) We chuckle at the fact that he's high too.
(When The Seamstress appears) "OH FUCK, THAT'S AWESOME!"
(When "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" starts to play) We really chilled out at this point. This led to a more massive freakout when the machine came back and interrupted the song

No comments:

Post a Comment